Simon and Garfunkel change the words to a greater degree, but their song "Richard Cory" comes from the poem of the same name by Edwin Arlington Robinson. Though they depart from Arlington's phrasing, they convey the shock of Richard Cory's suicide through the abruptness of the music in a way that evokes the suddenness of the last line of his poem.
One of my favorites, however, is Natalie Merchant and Susan McKeown's recording of Emily Dickinson's poem "Because I Could Not Stop for Death." (Incidentally, if you are familiar with Dickinson's poetry, you may enjoy this poem.) Both the Robinson and the Dickinson poems were ones that I would play for my students back when I was actually teaching literature. I never did teach "The Highwayman," perhaps because I have not been able to shake the mental images of my teacher's enthusiasm for it.
So, it's obviously been done. Musicians have taken poems, dropped a few verses or even retained only the concept, and have turned them into songs. You can probably think of even more examples. But, what is it about a certain poem that makes it a good choice for this transformation? Why some and not others?
A musician at church has asked me to find a few poems that I think would do well set to music. He's looking for musical inspiration, so now I am looking for words. He's interested in Christian themes and ideas, but not in a heavy-handed, didactic sort of way. Now, for an English major and teacher, I really haven't read or studied much poetry. I like novels, but I don't suppose he is any more interested in setting Jane Eyre or East of Eden to music that anyone else is in listening to it. John Donne came to mind, but you should also know that this musician's style is progressive rock. I'm not picturing metaphysical sonnets working too well with this, though Donne was avant-garde in his own seventeenth century way . So, I've been exploring George Herbert, Rainer Maria Rilke, and a few others. I've been reading T.S. Eliot's The Four Quartets recently, and I can see portions of this working. (You may recall that this has been done with Eliot before, the result of which was the musical Cats- quite unlike what we're up to.)
In conclusion, two points. First, I ask for your suggestions. What poems have you read that could become songs? And, as Easter approaches, here is a bit from Eliot:
The wounded surgeon plies the steel
That questions the distempered part;
Beneath the bleeding hands we feel
The sharp compassion of the healer's art
Resolving the enigma of the fever chart.
Our only health is the disease
If we obey the dying nurse
Whose constant care is not to please
But to remind us of our, and Adam's curse,
And that, to be restored, our sickness must grow worse.
The whole earth is our hospital
Endowed by the ruined millionaire,
Wherein, if we do well, we shall
Die of the absolute paternal care
That will not leave us, but prevents us everywhere.
The chill ascends from feet to knees,
The fever sings in mental wires.
If to be warmed, then I must freeze
And quake in frigid purgatorial fires
Of which the flame is roses, and the smoke is briars.
The dripping blood our only drink,
The bloody flesh our only food:
In spite of which we like to think
That we are sound, substantial flesh and blood-
Again, in spite of that, we call this Friday good.
3 comments:
That is pretty awesome. And seems like it might work with music. I know you asked me about this before, and I haven't come up with anything, but I'll get back on it.
"Paradelle for Susan" by B. Collins.
No, really.
(Actually, I'm quite sure it's been eons since I've read poetry other than hymn texts - if they count - and Billy Collins.)
Not exactly the themeatic material you're going for, but not heavy-handed, and delightful put to music, I'm sure.
hey! I just now saw this post, but I think it's fascinating ... especially since the musician's style is prog rock (which I happen to kinda like).
I'll probably post this question for my upperclassmen Brit Lit students. I'll let you know if we come up with any cool answers. :)
Post a Comment