Liz and I are considering giving things up for Lent. It will be the first time for both of us. Given Liz's recent acquisition of the Book of Common Prayer, this may indicate that we are on the road to Anglicanism.
Perhaps these Lenten desires reflect our goals for the denomination at large. The other day at lunch, Matt, Larissa, Leah, Josh, Elisabeth and I discussed the tendency for branches of the church to overemphasize things, like icons in the Orthodox church. We decided that the PCA and larger Reformed circles are too enamored with the Westminster divines and documents. Quite frankly, this has gotten a little boring. So, we're looking for a couple of suggestions and votes. What new things should the Reformed church overemphasize? Then, what should Niki and Liz give up for Lent?
Suggestions for new overemphases include: emotionalism, celibacy, drinking wine for what ails you, prophecy, piety (I rejected that one out of hand), glossolalia, liturgy, snake-handling, personal experience, and ascetism, which led to aestheticism (we thought this would be beneficial in years to come, like it was for the medieval and Renaissance churches). Surely you have some suggestions to add to our list.
Once you've solved that problem, how about suggestions for our first Lent experience? Here's a starter list for Liz; you can vote on these or add your own:
1. meetings (I love the thought of sounding spiritual in the avoidance of these)
2. meeting deadlines
3. chocolate
4. dessert
5. snacking
6. khaki pants (I added this when she wasn't looking)
for Niki:
1. meeting deadlines (oh, wait)
2. coffee
3. earth tones
4. going off campus
5. hitting the snooze button
Or, maybe we'll give up the same things, like:
1. showering
2. teaching
3. dating (working at Cono=our Great Lent)
Send in your votes and suggestions!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
_ _ _ _ _ _-treats late at night. I think you may have over-ruminated on the eve of February.
This all sounds a bit too tongue-in-cheek to be truly heartfelt. My vote, Niki, is that you do not give up earth tones, since you would then freeze to death in the few items of clothing remaining in your wardrobe. And Liz should not give up chocolate, because I would then feel guilty eating it when I come over. I'll have to get back to you on what we, the reformed community, should now over-emphasize.
It started serious and became tongue-in-cheek. But I really do want to give something up for Lent. And I think it might have to be chocolate. It seems that other options could be circumvented or rationalized away as being too overwhelming.
meetings.
definitely.
It's a beautiful thing when holiness and practicality meet. *coughs*
on a more serious note -- I hate the "narrowing" effect of denominationalism. Because the PCA is so strongly in the Reformation heritage of "kill the icons! Burn the statues! No trappings of Catholicism! And, for God's sake, stop being excited!" we miss so much that our liturgical brothers & sisters enjoy each week.
I *definitely* think the PCA needs to emphasize a good glass of wine as a daily reminder of God's good gifts. :) Besides that, a dose of emotion in worship, syncopation/rhythm, and perhaps some acknowledgment of the Holy Spirit would keep us busy for a few years. *grins*
Post a Comment