Thursday, February 01, 2007

"Fictitious Character Day"

Last semester, we had spirit week at Cono, but I have only just now gotten around to posting some pictures. One of the themed dress-up days was "Fictitious Character Day," and I encouraged (read: bribed with offers of bonus points) my students to select characters from our reading in class.

I'm sure you recognize the goddess Athena, who is here accompanied by Sita, the paragon of womanly virtue from the Ramayana (I know, I know- total typecasting). Eury used a scrub brush to make the spike on her helmet.

Here we have Mahlah, from L'Engle's Many Waters, Guinevere, Legolas (this one kind of scares me!), Chaucer's nun, and Beowulf.

Medusa and Calypso also showed up. If you look really closely, you can see the tiny green snakeheads in Amy's braids.

Elisabeth and Larissa participated, too. Elisabeth is Arwen. We spent far too much time the night before putting her outfit together. Larissa is Aida, an Ethiopian princess from an opera by Verdi. She just put the turban on as best she could, but Selam, an Ethopian student, later told her she had done it just right.

You can also probably tell that I don't have the whole blogger photo and text coordination functions figured out yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can there be no comments yet? Our students are the most creative and beautiful ever!!

Anonymous said...

dame. y'all are delightfully creative.

Anonymous said...

I love the costumes! For Halloween my Senior Seminar professor encouraged (okay dropped a quiz) if we dressed up. I went as Venus, or Aphrodite if you prefer. Anyway, your costume was great!
~Elise

Anonymous said...

We are still learning where to click so that we can find this fine blog.

Knowing more than a few things about these students (and even some of their teachers), I can only underline the lis comment! -DT