So,
things are going wonderfully at college -- as evidenced by the fact that I'm
writing this after a brief but fascinating 2:30 AM discussion about the nature
of poetic expression with my floor mate AJ. The subject of said discussion was
the following poem, published in the Columbia Review (a student-run literary
magazine):
"Foxtrot
Frames"
all the spoons
bent
'by a poltergeist'
--
Jason sowed his
babyteeth
in manure
--
massage my calves
you plumper hands
--
where has he went
to the wrinkled
comic covers
--
Roger ran into the
wrong
bed and fucked his
daughter
--
stemmed
grapefruit
halves
--
segmented
plucked, swallow
swallow
--
sugared mornings
marriages
and machoiatos
--
crooked nose you
hawker
you lecher Peter
with vegetable fingers
--
you mossy wolf
buried in the flower bed
and come and come
again
Aside
from the fact that both he and I thought the poem was total nonsense, I argued
that the poem was poorly written because poetry is meant to elevate our
capacity to produce and understand language to its highest level, and that this
poem fails to do that because it resorts to obscenity (the basest form of
communication--well, maybe a level or two above grunting and screeching) in the
fifth stanza.
However,
he countered with the idea that we should never limit ourselves in poetry,
because the f-word is precisely chosen to make you feel the dirtiness of
Roger's act. Indeed, it does make you feel gross reading it.
I then argued that if you can't express your meaning without that word, you
need to somehow restructure what you're trying to say or how you're trying to
say it. (After all, I'm sure you can paint vivid pictures of tremendously dirty
acts without resorting to obscenity.)
But
then I realized that we were operating on different assumptions. I was assuming
that swear words are off-limits because they are, in some way, less artistic
than ordinary words. But he was assuming (and stated explicitly) that we should
never limit ourselves in poetry (or art in general), as the f-word (and other
swear words) has very rich and specific connotations that would be inaccessible
if we were to deem that word "out of bounds." I then said that using
the f-word in poetry is like using feces instead of paint to create a portrait,
and then he questioned why we shouldn't use feces in painting.
Anyway,
I was just curious about your opinion on this poem, and on this debate. Are
some words off-limits in poetry?
Also,
I wanted to thank you once more for being such an awesome teacher. One of the
Core Curriculum classes I'm taking this year--Literature Humanities--is
entirely discussion-based, but our professor is super lenient with the idea of
supporting your claims with the text. For instance, the other day, a girl in my
class suggested that Homer included so many death scenes in the Iliad to show how war and repeated death
can desensitize you to the significance of death, and her evidence was
essentially that "you get tired of reading all these death scenes."
Granted, we have little time to break down every single claim made about the
text, but it just reminded me of how well AP English 12 prepared me for
extracting meaning from the text and basing it on actual evidence. It'll
definitely come in handy over the next four years, to say the least. So, thanks
so much!
My response is below, minus some social niceties:
Appropriate
that this came when it did; we’re introducing our study of poetry in AP right
now. I’m starting to appreciate more deeply the cycle of teaching and returning
yearly to some of the same ideas; it functions as a kind of intellectual
liturgy to my year. So, now is the time of year when I am reminded of and
refreshed in what poetry should be and do. Helen Vendler, professor at Harvard
and perhaps the best reader of poetry alive today (Bloom would bristle at that,
but his fascination with Freud clouds his view of the text at times), describes
poetry as that which requires imagination and mastery of language, and that
poets are those who have the “gift of conveying to the reader the world as they
have seen it.”
In
that case, then, the function of language is to be used well—with precision,
directness, clarity, and grace, but also to be used rightly—in service to a true
and full vision of the imagination. Of course, the world “as they have seen
it,” may not be the world as it is, and this is right to critique as a reader.
(Though, part of the truth is that we don’t see or desire it as we ought, so
even a work that presents a faulty worldview indicates the truth that our
hearts are darkened.) So, a poem could fail or be flawed either in its vision
of the true or in the use of language to share that vision (or both).
For
a more classical take, I like to remember the well-crafted (pukinos) bed from The Odyssey. The idea of beauty there has to do with fittedness and
integratedness—all the parts fit together as they ought to make a unified
whole. I think we talked about this some in relation to Hamlet, regarding how disorder in the parts disrupts the whole.
That which is beautiful has all its parts in right relationship—thus a
beautiful melody, face, scene, idea, geometric proof, or sentence. So then,
beauty and truth are fully entwined and inseparable. Thomas Howard talks of the
bawdy or grotesque as having its place in literature: “There is this to be said
of bawdy. When it occurs in serious literature, it occurs as a foil; that is,
it appears in conscious and grinning contrast to whatever the serious theme may
be” (Chance or the Dance). While he
speaks here of a kind of humorous juxtaposition between the vulgar and the
serious, the same comparison seems to apply to the role of seeing the evil or
the obscene not to titillate, but to juxtapose the beauty of the true and the good.
(Howard
cites Chaucer and Shakespeare as examples of texts that use bawdy language, and
you’ll perhaps remember that in the General Prologue, Chaucer defends his use
of vulgar language:
Whoso
shal telle a tale after a man,
He moot reherce as ny as evere he kan
Everich a word, if it be in his charge,
Al speke he never so rudeliche and large,
Or ellis he moot telle his tale untrewe,
Or feyne thyng, or fynde wordes newe.
He may nat spare, althogh he were his brother;
He moot as wel seye o word as another.
Crist spak hymself ful brode in hooly writ,
And wel ye woot no vileynye is it.
Eek Plato seith, whoso that kan hym rede,
The wordes moote be cosyn to the dede.)
He moot reherce as ny as evere he kan
Everich a word, if it be in his charge,
Al speke he never so rudeliche and large,
Or ellis he moot telle his tale untrewe,
Or feyne thyng, or fynde wordes newe.
He may nat spare, althogh he were his brother;
He moot as wel seye o word as another.
Crist spak hymself ful brode in hooly writ,
And wel ye woot no vileynye is it.
Eek Plato seith, whoso that kan hym rede,
The wordes moote be cosyn to the dede.)
Coming
back around to your assertion that “poetry is meant to elevate our capacity to
produce and understand language to its highest level,” I think poetry can do
this, but the telos of language is
more than simply beauty or whatever one might assert opposes obscenity. Poetry
does require a mastery of language, but the master uses it for the
communication and sharing of a vision that makes more vivid the real and the
true. The question then, isn’t (merely?) what to do when the language isn’t
beautiful, but what to do when the vision or experience isn’t beautiful.
Sometimes the vision and experience of our fallen nature and distorted world
are vile and obscene and we should be offended, and the mastery of language
will mean expressing that in the way that fittingly conveys the truest vision
of it, which may be obscene language.
So, I don’t think that any particular
words are necessarily off-limits. In general, rather than boundaries or
“off-limits” spaces (whether in poetry or sanctification), it’s helpful to
think in terms of direction. Toward what end is this language being used? Does
it direct us toward a more true vision of the human condition or Truth, or is
it used to mask truth or to titillate? In the poem you included, which I’m sure
I don’t entirely understand, the images show a broken world, but it seems more
of an attempt to be edgy or showy or almost exhibitionist, and certainly trying
to be postmodern and sophisticated. That said, I can’t think of a painting that
uses fecal matter that I’d like to see at the National Gallery this weekend,
but it is a good image for describing my self-righteousness. I also tried to
think of a poem that uses the f-word that I might consider excellent, and I
couldn’t think of any examples there either. However, I think it might have
more to do with it becoming trite by being overused in common language rather
than because it’s on the don’t-say-in-polite-company list. I also can’t think of an excellent poem
that uses the word “nice.”
I
do have some essays (written by others, mind you) on aesthetics and
Christianity that may be of interest. I’ll send them your way.
Delighted
to hear of your appreciation for concern about the text, and so glad to have
been able to pass that along. The Iliad
example is quite unfortunate, as there is so much to ask about if she’ll push
past her own personal experience a bit. Very amused by “you get tired” as a
reading. Perhaps Homer’s argument is that battle scenes are good for
insomniacs? In more seriousness, Simone Weil has an essay on The Iliad you could read here if
interested: http://people.virginia.edu/~jdk3t/WeilTheIliad.pdf
No comments:
Post a Comment