Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Vacation: Takin' It Down a Notch

Despite school still being in session and my enrollment in an education course, I was able to slip away for a few days to Maine with the parents, Kirk, and a friend of his. The weather was good the first two days, with blue skies, deeper blue seas, and clear views of even the shores of Vinal Haven and North Haven, islands nestled on our horizon here. Kirk and I paddled kayaks to Ash Island; he was well ahead of me the whole way.

Lupines, honeysuckle, and lilacs bloom along the roadsides, so lovely and distracting that mom missed a turn on our morning run and went the long way around to the Owl's Head General Store. Dad did find her after 5.2 miles, and I waited for them while drinking locally roasted coffee and eating hearty oatmeal. The proprietor double-checked to make sure I didn't want milk or cream on my oatmeal, then said I'd need to run another mile when I agreed to the brown sugar.

It was cloudy and rained some today, so after a morning trip to Rockland, where I purchased used copies of some Nietzsche and L'Engle, we picked up lobsters for dinner and headed home. Even working is pleasant here, and we found ways to pass the time.

1 comment:

lorojoro said...

that looks marvelously RESTFUL!!