As the school year, both at St. John's and AACS, come to a close, it's difficult not to reflect on faces and hearts that won't be seen again, or that weren't seen as they ought to have been. There are many kinds of departures and distances surrounding my recent days, and as with friends who return, sometimes a familiar poem, recognized after a time away, becomes something known anew. This one comforts now:
The Lantern out of Doors
Sometimes a lantern moves along the night.
That interests our eyes. And who gets there?
I think; where from and bound, I wonder, where,
With, all down darkness wide, his wading light?
Men go by me, whom either beauty bright
In mould or mind or what not else makes rare:
They rain against our much-thick and marsh air
Rich beams, till death or distance buys them quite.
Death or distance soon consumes them: wind,
What most I may eye after, be in at the end
I cannot, and out of sight is out of mind.
Christ minds: Christ's interest, what to avow or amend
There, eyes them, heart wants, care haunts, foot follows kind,
Their ransom, their rescue, and first, fast, last friend.
by Gerard Manley Hopkins
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hopkins is good for the soul.
The older I get, the more I grieve the truism that, most of the time, "out of sight" really does turn into "out of mind" and thus "gone for good."
I imagine that the New Earth in all of its glorious redemption will somehow counteract this distance which has robbed me of so many precious friendships through the years. Till then, I grieve for some still.... and work hard to maintain the ones that are left.
Here's to friendship! I hope you have a lovely summer and that our paths cross again soon. :-)
As much as I love reading poems, especially ones that you suggest, I know that if you were sitting here with me, you could explain a whole world of meaning that I would have otherwise been oblivious too. Regardless of my depth of appreciation, I think that poem is beautiful.
Nice job with your bi-annual post!
Love you Sister!
Well worth the wait! Thanks, Niki.
Post a Comment