Friday, June 15, 2007

Cleaning Out

This week and next I am cleaning out desks, files, closets, my classroom and my house in preparation for a move. I've never before left a place where I have been so entrenched- play spaces, living spaces, work spaces. I even have to tidy up all of my computer files to hand off ideas and curriculum development projects in-progress. I will also relinquish all rights to my computer- a lovely MacBook. There's a small lump in my throat as I consider this.

However, the joys of tidying are coming across the occasional forgotten gems, like this quote from a former non-native English speaking student:

"I have experienced that nobody can make or force me to do things, they can bring a horse to me, but I don’t want to drink, I don’t drink.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is definitely one fine example of the multifacted linguistic gems one unearths as a teacher here. (And because that is such a ridiculous sentence in and of itself, and I'm supposed to be working right now anyway, I'll pretend you don't know who this is and sign anonymously.) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Niki, it's Sam Belz, here in the basement of the Grace House at New City. Your sister gave me the address to your blog, so I finally checked it out, and it's not overwhelming like some blogs. Good balance of photos and type and also some good fonts. I had lunch at Mr. T's with Mr. Joseph Pace, then went to his house for a little bit. He's matured since I last saw him.

Anna McClurg said...

Hey, Niki! I just got a new blog and linked to your page. I hope you don't mind! Your blog is a delight to read. I'll miss you here in Iowa. Let me know if you ever come back to visit. :)